Slow Cooker Turkey Tacos that are made with turkey breast and salsa verde then topped with sweet dried cranberries, cilantro, and onion are some truly tasty tacos that will quickly become a family favorite.
It’s impossible not to start thinking about turkey this time of year but sometimes the thought of cooking an entire turkey is just too much. Personally it’s something I take on once a year and although I love the outcome, it’s a labor of love. So the rest of the time, when I am craving turkey, I like to rely on simple recipes and tools like my slow cooker to make quick work of what can feel like an intimidatng protein. I also focus on purchasing cuts of turkey, like breast tenderloins or even whole breasts, that are easier to work with than the whole bird.
Now let’s talk about these tacos. They start with the simplest of recipes and one that most slow cooker lovers have made many times – salsa chicken. Instead of chicken, we are going to opt for turkey breast and for the salsa, we are going to use a tangy, green salsa. You can use your favorite salsa and choose a spice level that works for you. I am partial to Trader Joe’s refrigerated Roasted Tomatillo Salsa or Herdez, but you can use any brand you would happily eat on its own. To kick things up a bit, we are going to add some simple spices to the turkey and then just let the slow cooker do its thing.
Now where these tacos really shine is in the toppings. Since I wanted to make these seasonal, I decided to top them with some dried cranberries and couldn’t believe how delicious the combination of the spicy salsa verde was with the sweet cranberries. It’s seriously delicious. I also added some fresh chopped cilantro, onions, and some queso fresco for good meausure. The creamy, salty cheese is the perfect addition. You could even add some toasted pepitas to step up the seasonal flavors. It would be a nice crunchy element.
When making these Slow Cooker Turkey Tacos, consider the following tips:
- Usually for these recipe I use the turkey tenderloins since they are easy to find all year long in the grocery store. You could also use a bone-in or boneless turkey breast, just make sure to remove the skin before cooking it. If you prefer ground turkey, that will work as well. Just brown it before adding it to the slow cooker. And if you can’t find turkey, you can use chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
- If you find the salsa verde you bought it kind of bland, consider blending it with a handful of fresh cilantro, a quarter of an onion, and a jalapeno pepper. I find this adds tons of flavor to almost any store bought salsa and makes it taste homemade.
- For a lower carb version of this dish, choose low carb tortillas or make a taco bowl using cauliflower rice. You can leave out the cranberries or cook some fresh cranberries until they pop to include on top. Fresh cranberries don’t have added sugar so they will work for most low carb dieters.
Looking for more slow cooker taco recipes?
Here are some of the products and tools I used to cook this recipe:
- Slow Cooker: There are so many different slow cookers on the market but I personally use this one that allows me to brown, sear, or saute in the same pan. Plus I find the cooking temperature to be really even and consistent.
- Salsa verde: The salsa verde is a big part of the flavor for this dish, so make sure to choose one that tastes great. Usually I use this one that can be found in most supermarkets. I also love the Roasted Tomatillo Salsa from Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods also makes a good one.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.