Slow Cooker Creamy Sloppy Joes–homemade sloppy joe sauce and ground beef are simmered in slow cooker and then cream cheese is stirred in as a twist to make the best sloppy joes of your life. Serve the meaty sauce on toasted buns or even slider rolls for an easy weeknight dinner. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a crowd.
(Get the recipe for INSTANT POT Creamy Sloppy Joes here)
Slow Cooker Creamy Sloppy Joes
If you’re like me you probably don’t think much of sloppy joes. They are sort of a neutral food for me. I don’t love them and I don’t hate them. However, this recipe for slow cooker creamy sloppy joes has firmly pushed them into the love category. I ladled the meat mixture over toasted whole wheat buns and cut one in half intending to only eat half a sandwich. That lasted about 10 seconds and I ate the second half of the sandwich. Then my daughter got home from school and the same thing happened with her. The homemade sauce with the cream cheese just made these sloppy joes so perfect. I hope you will try them soon!
Three reasons you should make this recipe:
- The meat keeps well on the warm setting. These sloppy joes are perfect for the busy family that has to eat in shifts. Put the bag of buns next to the slow cooker and let everyone serve themself when they are ready to eat.
- (Although we are in winter right now) These would be a perfect summer supper. Don’t heat up your kitchen by turning on the stove. Serve these sloppy joes with coleslaw or fruit salad.
- The cream cheese! The cream cheese puts a little twist on traditional sloppy joes and you’ll never want to go back to the original recipe after trying these.
More recipes you’ll love…
Slow Cooker Reuben Sandwiches from The Magical Slow Cooker
Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo Sandwiches from The Cookie Rookie
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
When I made slow cooker creamy sloppy joes I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.
Homemade sloppy joe sauce and ground beef are simmered in slow cooker and then cream cheese is stirred in as a twist to make the best sloppy joes of your life. Serve the meaty sauce on toasted buns or even slider rolls for an easy weeknight dinner. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a crowd.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small or medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup chili sauce (it’s in the aisle by the ketchup)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 6 buns (I used whole wheat)
- Heat a pan on your stove over medium high heat. Brown the beef for about 3-4 minutes then add in the onion. Stir and let the onion saute for 3-4 more minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Add the beef/onions to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the chili sauce, water, mustard, chili powder and worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours.
- Remove the lid and stir the mixture. Add in the cream cheese and stir until it is melted. I used the saute setting to melt the cream cheese a little faster.
- Serve the meat on top of the buns. We toasted ours under the broiler in our oven.
Send Me Free Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.